Friday, December 14, 2012

Oh shit.

What happens when you want a baby, and then you get one?

When my partner and I first started talking about getting pregnant, it seemed like a novel and romantic idea.  And since every time you have unprotected sex, the chances of becoming pregnant are at MOST about ten percent, I was all set to spend a few months practicing.

One time. Two times. Bingo.

Suddenly, I'm dizzy.  I got a random touch of heartburn.  The GAS.  I'll let you Google "leukorrhea".  My knees are sore.  My muscles ache.  And I want to have sex.  Lots of sex.  And the moment it's over, I want more.

It would seem that my body is trying to tell me something.  All these signs point to "two blue lines" or whatever a positive pregnancy test looks like.  And it's too early to test.

I have obsessed over these symptoms since I realized they weren't getting better, and today I was reduced to two words.

"Oh shit."

The last time I went off birth control, I got pregnant. I was nineteen, and miscarried before I knew what was going on.  The doctor told me it was "nothing" and I spent the next 5 years believing it.  I saw several other doctors and had other exams, and no one mentioned it.  When I was 24, I found out.  A doctor asked me "When were you pregnant?"  I said "never."  He said I was mistaken.

So, I got on the Pill again and never looked back. And I forgot.

But now, I remember.  And I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment